Elder Law Attorney in Melbourne, FL
The Law Office of J. Scott Lanford helps elderly people with Wills & Estate Planning
Managing elder care law requires in-depth knowledge of the law. At the Law Office of J. Scott Lanford, we are ready to help elderly people and their loved ones. We have more than 60 years of combined experience in helping our clients get the protection they need.
There are many issues that face our elder clients and their families including:
- Creating a living will. A living will is important for directing end of life decisions if you are no longer able to communicate your own wishes at any point. If you are facing the possibility of surgery or hospitalization, have been diagnosed with a terminal condition or want to simply specify your wishes so it is more likely they will be carried out, a living will help physicians and your family respect and follow your personal choices.
- Creating a power of attorney. Creating a durable power of attorney involves appointing someone you trust to handle specific responsibilities related to healthcare or finances if you are having difficulty making your own decisions or communicating your wishes. Having a power of attorney is key for allowing family or friends to be able to make necessary decisions if you become incapacitated or incompetent at any point.
- Providing will and estate planning. One of the most common aspects of elder law consists of providing elder will and estate planning to distribute and manage your assets once you’re gone. Having a clear estate plan in place is key to ensuring your belongings, business, assets, or home are taken care of according to your wishes and with minimal hassle to your remaining loved ones. Estate planning also helps minimize taxes, court costs, and unnecessary legal fees after you die.
- Providing long-term financial planning. Whether your goal is to live with comfortable finances for the final years of your life or you’d like to be able to leave behind a significant monetary sum for your spouse, children or other loved ones when you die, our office can help you develop concrete long-term financial plans to help achieve those goals. Later years in life can sometimes bring with them unexpected costs, like nursing home payments, hospitalizations, or other medical bills. We will help you plan for a range of scenarios, working to make sure you can live in comfort for your remaining years and take care of your loved ones when you are gone.
- Filing nursing home claims and helping explain nursing home resident rights. When you live in a nursing home, you have certain rights and protections to ensure you receive the care and services you need. We will help ensure you know your resident rights and will help you file claims if those rights are violated at any point.
- Providing assistance with health care planning including long-term care. Health care planning is a key element of managing both your finances and your well being in your later years in life. Taking long-term care into consideration helps you prepare for the possibility of living in a nursing home or dealing with expensive medical bills later on.
For more information on the services we provide as a leading Melbourne elder law firm, contact the Law Office of J. Scott Lanford in Melbourne, FL at (321) 728-9898.
Why Choose Us?
- Free Consultations
- Available Nights & Weekends
- American Bar Association Member
- Admitted to Practice in Federal Court
- Over 60 Years of Combined Experience