Melbourne Power of Attorney Services
When Do You Need Establish Power of Attorney?
Power of attorney is typically established related to financial, medical or child care needs. This becomes necessary if you expect to have difficulty making your own decisions or communicating your wishes. Establishing power of attorney involves appointing someone you trust to handle specific responsibilities when you are no longer able to, helping guide financial decisions provide appropriate medical treatment or provide guardianship for your children. Without power of attorney established, it can be difficult for your family or loved ones to help make decisions if you become incompetent or incapacitated.
At our estate planning law firm in Melbourne, we are able to provide a detailed evaluation of the legal needs of a client to best determine when power of attorney should be established. Our team is here to help you power of attorney services, including selecting an appropriate agent to delegate decision-making to and determining when and how you want the power of attorney to become effective.
Our Melbourne estate planning law firm can help establish:
- Financial Power of Attorney: As a part of your estate planning, the Law Office of J. Scott Lanford can help determine a trusted individual who can manage your estate in the event you are unable. A financial power of attorney authorizes an individual you trust to make decisions and act for you regarding financial matters. It typically becomes effective upon the occurrence of a future event, such as the event that you become incapacitated or incompetent.
- Medical Power of Attorney: When medical treatment and end-of-life decisions need to be put in the hands of a trusted person, we can help appoint a guardian who can be relied upon to speak as an advocate. This mechanism allows you to select someone you trust to make decisions related to your medical care when you are no longer able. Situations in which a medical power of attorney may be necessary include if you’re unconscious, you are under anesthesia or you become mentally incompetent due to dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease. Establishing a medical power of attorney before these situations occur is vital to ensuring your trusted family member or friend can make decisions on your behalf.
- Child Care Power of Attorney: Putting children in the best care in the event you can no longer take care of them is a top priority for any parent. We at the Law Office of J. Scott Lanford can assist in determining the best individuals to act as guardians of your children on your behalf. Power of attorney allows you to designate another adult to make decisions for your child if you cannot, but it doesn’t require you to give up your parental or custodial rights.
The best time to establish power of attorney is long before any event occurs that would require its use. Call the Law Office of J. Scott Lanford today for a free consultation in Melbourne at (321) 728-9898 .
Why Choose Us?
- Free Consultations
- Available Nights & Weekends
- American Bar Association Member
- Admitted to Practice in Federal Court
- Over 60 Years of Combined Experience