Probate Attorney in Melbourne, FL
Team of Professional Probate Lawyers at The Law Office of J. Scott Lanford
With the proper planning and an experienced Melbourne fl probate attorney like our team at the Law Office of J Scott Lanford, anyone can avoid many of the common issues that come with the probate court. Because many individuals fail to draft a will, probate court becomes the mediator for their assets. We understand that a probate court can be complicated and especially difficult for those who have recently lost a loved one. That’s why we offer all the possible measures to help our clients avoid a probate hearing and work with clients to navigate the probate process with minimal stress and confusion.
Probate litigation can be easier if you:
- Take measures to protect assets. We can work with you to guard you or your loved one’s personal or business assets from civil judgments, helping keep your property safe before and after death and protecting it from litigation.
- Cancel your loved one’s utilities. Canceling utilities, ending leases, and canceling credit cards are all necessary steps once an individual dies. It can make the probate process easier if you complete these tasks ahead of time, either canceling them altogether or transferring them into your name for future payments.
- Collect any critical or important documents. Taking the time to go through your loved one’s documents and pull any critical or important ones together before they are needed in court will save you stress and time down the road. Having all of the documents organized and in one place will help make the probate process go more smoothly.
- Determine if there is a will that was left. Many people die without a will, but if there is one, it will be filed with the probate court. A will allows an individual to specify how they want their assets distributed and managed after they’re gone. Without a will or trust, an individual’s belongings and assets will be distributed according to state law, typically going to a spouse and children if the individual has them.
- Find out if the estate is in need of attention. All outstanding bills and dues must be paid out of the estate before it can be settled, including medical bills, credit cards, car loans, mortgages, or other types of bills and dues. You’ll also have to pay any taxes on behalf the person who died.
Our attorneys at J. Scott Lanford Attorney in Melbourne, FL have experienced estate planning and probate attorneys, always working to make the probate process as smooth and stress-free for you as possible. We also work to help our clients avoid a probate hearing, including setting up living trusts in addition to or instead of wills to allow your assets to transition to trust beneficiaries without probate court proceedings.
With the assistance of our team of professionals, we can provide a will and trust that fits your estate planning goals. Call us today for to arrange a free consultation at (321) 728-9898 in Melbourne, FL.
Why Choose Us?
- Free Consultations
- Available Nights & Weekends
- American Bar Association Member
- Admitted to Practice in Federal Court
- Over 60 Years of Combined Experience